Physiotherapy for Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) injury
A person with an ACL injury will benefit from physiotherapy treatment. Tears of the ACL usually occur following sporting injuries, e.g. football, basketball, netball and skiing and can have a significant impact on a persons mobility and independence with everyday activities, such as climbing the stairs.
Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio, will promote your recovery and get you back to the sports you enjoy as soon as possible with safety and confidence.
Benefits of physiotherapy following an ACL injury at Manchester Physio include:
- Reducing pain
- Reducing swelling
- Improving pain free range of movement
- Increasing muscle strength
- Improving balance and proprioception (awareness of limbs in space)
- Enhancing overall fitness
- Promoting independence with everyday activities
- Speeding up recovery and return to sport
Our specialist musculoskeletal physiotherapists are experienced at treating people following an ACL injury and provide comprehensive assessment and treatment to ensure you make the best recovery. Physiotherapy treatment will be tailored to the activities you enjoy and may include:
- Electrotherapy and ICE to reduce swelling and relieve pain
- Gentle range of movement exercises to relieve pain, stiffness and swelling
- Isometric strengthening exercises
- Once pain free range has been achieved your strengthening exercises will be progressed through range
- Balance training
- Core stability work
- Functional activities based around everyday tasks
- Sport specific exercises
For more information on how physiotherapy can help you, or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.