What causes ligament injuries?
Ligament injuries can have many causes, including falls and sudden twisting of joints or blows to joints that are common in sports like football, basketball and running.
What are the symptoms/effects of ligament injuries?
A torn ligament can be very painful. It usually causes localised swelling, heat and ultimately bruising. It may be too painful to weight bear through the affected joint and additionally the joint may feel quite unstable. The sooner this injury is diagnosed and treated the more quickly and completely it will heal.
Diagnosis of ligament injuries
A diagnosis of a ligament injury can be confirmed by a physiotherapist or a doctor who will conduct a detailed physical examination.
Physiotherapy for ligament injuries
Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio will reduce swelling and pain, regain range of movement and strength and get you back to your hobbies and everyday activities as quickly as possible.
Your physiotherapist at Manchester Physio will initially assess the extent of your injury in order to develop a structured treatment program which may include:
- Ice and ultrasound in the initial stages to reduce swelling and prevent stiffness.
- Advice about special support or strapping to protect the muscles and joints while your injury is healing.
- Gentle massage to relieve pain and tension
- Stretching to lengthen tight muscles
- Joint mobilisation to regain full range of movement
- Muscle strengthening exercises
- Balance training
- Advice on injury prevention
Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio will ensure you achieve your maximum potential and reduce the risk of injury reoccurrence.
If you would like more information on how physiotherapy can help you, or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.