Physiotherapy for Multiple Sclerosis
At Manchester Physio, we have trained and experienced neurological physiotherapists who provide specialist advice and treatment for people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Our neurological physiotherapists at Manchester Physio will help you realise your physical potential by improving mobility, muscle strength and flexibility and increasing energy levels so you can continue with everyday activities with independence and confidence.
Benefits of physiotherapy for MS at Manchester Physio include:
- Improving mobility
- Enhancing muscle strength
- Increasing range of movement
- Improving balance
- Increasing energy levels
- Reducing muscle spasm
- Managing pain and stiffness
Your physiotherapist at Manchester Physio will first assess how your current symptoms are affecting your daily life, in order to develop a structured rehabilitation programme suited to you, which may include:
- Practicing functional activities such as transfers, sit to stand, standing balance and mobility to improve technique, confidence and success
- Activities to facilitate normal movement patterns making functional tasks easier to achieve.
- Balance training in different positions to promote independence with transfers and mobility.
- Correcting posture in lying, sitting and standing to increase comfort and reduce stiffness and spasticity.
- Active range of movement exercises to keep muscles strong and strengthen those that are weak
- Muscle stretching to relieve stiffness or spasms and keep joints flexible.
- Advice on walking aids, ankle braces or orthotic devices to aid everyday activities and reduce risk of falling
- Hydrotherapy treatment to stretch and strengthen muscles as much as possible.
If you would like more information on physiotherapy for multiple sclerosis, or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.