Physiotherapy for Motor Neurone disease
Our neurological physiotherapists at Manchester Physio understand that being told you or your loved one has motor neurone disease can be emotional and hard to take in. At Manchester Physio are neurological physiotherapist are experienced at treating people with motor neuron disease (MND) and will help guide and support you throughout your rehabilitation so that you can continue with the activities you enjoy with confidence and independence, for as long as possible.
Benefits of physiotherapy at Manchester Physio include:
- Maintaining muscle strength and length for as long as possible
- Normalising muscle tone
- Facilitating normal movement patterns
- Enhancing functional movement
- Improving balance
- Improving posture
- Relieving pain
- Maintaining a clear chest
- Improving energy levels
- Enhancing independence
- Practising functional tasks such as standing, walking, sitting down and transfers to promote independence and teach you ways to make these tasks easier to achieve
- Exercises to muscle strength, making them functional for you
- Stretching exercises to reduce stiffness and pain and maintain tissue length
- Gait re-education including balance exercises as to improve confidence
- Teaching and advising partners/family/carers on positioning and transfers
- Hydrotherapy treatment to relieve tension but also increase muscle strength and flexibility
- Advise about mobility aids and adaptive equipment to help identify the appropriate resources.
For more information on physiotherapy for MND or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.