What is juvenile arthritis?
Juvenile arthritis is the name given to describe arthritis which affects children. There are different types of juvenile arthritis including polyarthritis (five or more joints), pauci-articular arthritis (4 or less joints affected) and systemic juvenile arthritis (affects the internal organs as well as joints). The symptoms can develop in children at any time and may last for months or years, although most children are recovered by adulthood.
What are the symptoms of juvenile arthritis?
Symptoms may vary in each child but are likely to include:
- Swollen, red or hot joints
- Joint stiffness especially in the morning
- Recurrent pain in one or more joints
- Movements of joints become more difficult
- In systemic cases rashes, fever and swollen glands
How can physiotherapy help juvenile arthritis?
The effects of juvenile arthritis can significantly impact on a child's life and functional abilities. Painful, stiff joints can lead to inactivity and muscle weakness which if left untreated can impair a child's ability and potential for recovery. Physiotherapy aims to:
- Reduce pain
- Reduce swelling
- Improve range of movement
- Reduce joint stiffness
- Improve muscle strength and length
- Improve function and independence
- Improve mobility
Our specialist paediatric physiotherapists will assess and tailor treatment according to the child's needs. Treatment is designed to maximise a child's independence and may include:
- Advice regarding pain management strategies e.g. use of heat or ice
- Gentle stretching exercises to reduce muscle stiffness
- Mobilising exercises to improve joint range of movement
- Strengthening exercises to improve muscle strength
- Exercises to improve stamina and exercise tolerance
- Hydrotherapy to work on all of the above
- Advice on appropriate activities outside therapy e.g. swimming
- Home exercise programme and advice on long term management
Why Manchester Physio?
- No waiting lists for treatment
- One on one treatment
- Various clinic locations
- Dedicated, patient centred approach to treatment
- Specialist physiotherapists
- Ongoing support
- Motivated, caring staff
- Proven track record
- Hydrotherapy treatment available
Manchester Physio can provide treatment for children with juvenile arthritis across Greater Manchester and Cheshire. We can provide assessment and treatment at our clinic, a child's school or at your home for your convenience.
See our testimonials to read about the experiences of current and past patients.
To find out more please contact us or arrange a free phone consultation.