What is Down's syndrome?
Down's syndrome is a chromosomal disorder caused by an additional 21st chromosome which causes abnormalities in physical and cognitive development.
What are the symptoms of Down's syndrome?
The presence of the additional chromosome causes characteristic features of Down's syndrome which may include:
- Low set, upwards sloping eyes and small low set ears
- Small mouth with large protruding tongue
- Flattened nose
- Broad hands
- Low birth weight and small stature
Additional complications may arise as a result of the chromosomal abnormality including heart abnormalities, sight and hearing problems, thyroid problems, poor immunity, digestive problems and dementia. Most people with Down's syndrome have learning difficulties and can be slower in their development although the severity varies.
How can Physiotherapy help children with Down's syndrome?
Early physiotherapy for children with Down's syndrome can help address developmental problems and muscle weakness to maximise function and quality of life. Our team of specialists physiotherapists can help:
- Promote achievement of gross motor skills such as sitting, crawling, standing
- Improve independence in functional activities
- Improve muscle strength, posture and balance
- Improve quality of life and confidence
- Reduce the risk of secondary joint problems in later life as a result of lax ligaments and muscle weakness
Why Manchester Physio?
- Access treatment immediately
- One on one treatment
- Holistic approach to treatment
- Specialist physiotherapists
- Motivated, caring staff who will give reassurance and support
- Proven track record
Manchester Physio can provide treatment of Down's syndrome across Greater Manchester and Cheshire. We will provide assessment and treatment at our clinic, a child's school or at your home for your convenience.
See our testimonials to read about the experiences of current and past patients.
To find out more please contact us or arrange a free phone consultation.