What is hydrocephalus?
Hydrocephalus is a condition where there is a build-up of excessive fluid in the brain. The brain normally relies on a certain level of cerebrospinal fluid for protection, acting as a shock absorber and carrier of nutrients. When this balance is disturbed however, pressure on the brain increases which can result in harmful pressure on tissues of the brain.
What causes hydrocephalus?
Hydrocephalus can be congenital (born with the condition) or acquired after birth as a result of injury or disease such as meningitis, head injury or conditions such as spina bifida.
How is hydrocephalus treated?
It is important that normal levels of fluid and pressure are restored to prevent or limit further damage to brain tissue. Treatment usually involves surgery to insert a shunt which allows fluid to drain elsewhere in the body, usually the abdominal cavity.
How can physiotherapy help after hydrocephalus?
Excessive pressure on the brain can result in physical problems in babies or children which may affect their physical development, achievement of milestones, balance, coordination or mobility. Our team of specialist paediatric physiotherapists can provide treatment of a child's physical problems in order to maximise their potential and quality of life. Aims of treatment will vary according to the child's needs and age but may include:
- Promoting achievement of physical milestones such as sitting, standing, crawling
- Maximising independence in mobility
- Exercises to improve balance and coordination
- Exercises to stretch or strengthen tight or weak muscles
- Improving confidence and quality of life
- Improving tolerance and stamina
Why Manchester Physio?
- Immediate assessment for your child
- One on one treatment, with full involvement of parents
- Motivating and fun approach to treatment
- Specialist physiotherapists
- Caring staff who can give reassurance and support
- Proven track record
Manchester Physio can provide treatment of children with hydrocephalus across Greater Manchester and Cheshire. We can provide assessment and treatment at our clinic, a child's school or at your home for your convenience.
See our testimonials to read about the experiences of current and past patients.
To find out more please contact us or arrange a free phone consultation.