Physiotherapy for muscular dystrophy
At Manchester Physio, we provide specialist physiotherapy treatment for people with muscular dystrophy shortly after onset of the illness and for period of time, to improve independence in standing, walking and everyday activities.
Our neurological physiotherapists are experienced at treating people with muscular dystrophy and will tailor treatment to you needs for the best possible outcome.
Benefits of physiotherapy treatment for muscular dystrophy at Manchester Physio include:
- Maintaining muscle strength in order to delay muscle wastage
- Improving range of movement and flexibility
- Reducing pain and stiffness
- Improving posture
- Improving balance and coordination
- Maximising mobility
- Maximising independence with functional activities
- Improving quality of life
One of our specialist neurological physiotherapists at Manchester Physio, will carry out a detailed assessment to see how muscular dystrophy affects you. Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio will help you keep as active as possible in a safe and effective way and maximise your true potential by developing progressive treatment goals tailored to you. At Manchester your rehabilitation program may include:
- Stretching to reduce muscle tension and lengthen tight muscles
- Structured exercise programme to increase muscle strength and energy levels as well as independence with daily tasks
- Passive and active movement of joints to improve flexibility and help maintain muscle strength
- Postural advice to increase comfort when lying and sitting
- Balance training
- Advice on mechanical support such as wheelchairs walking aids and orthotic devices in order to maintain functional ability
- Hydrotherapy to stretch and strengthen muscles
- Breathing control and assisted coughing if appropriate to maintain a clear chest
If you would like more information on physiotherapy for muscular dystrophy or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.