- Direct injury to the Achilles tendon
- Repetitive overuse over a period of time that exceeds the ability of the Achilles tendon to endure that load
- Achilles tendonitis
- Calf strain
Physiotherapy for Achilles pain
The key to successful treatment of Achilles pain is early diagnosis and RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation).
Our physiotherapists at Manchester Physio provide specific stretching and strengthening programmes and correction of predisposing factors such as muscle tightness and abnormal biomechanics. These are all required together with appropriate progression to functional activities and sport-specific rehabilitation programmes.
Physiotherapy treatment will settle pain and inflammation by using a combination of techniques which may include:
- Advice about heel raises and other orthotics
- Soft tissue massage and mobilization of the Achilles tendon
- Intensive self-stretching program to maintain muscle and tendon length
- Progressive strengthening program
- Gait analysis
- Running program
For more information about how physiotherapy can help with ankle pain, or to book an assessment please call 0161 883 0077.