What is developmental delay?
Developmental delay is when a child does not progress as expected in achievement of specific milestones such as learning to sit, crawl, walk or talk.
What causes developmental delay?
There can be many different causes of developmental delay such as genetic problems, problems during pregnancy or birth, and problems during early infancy or childhood such as infection or head injury. Often there is no identifiable cause.
What are the signs of developmental delay?
Developmental delay can affect behaviour, physical abilities, vision, speech and hearing. Some common signs include:
- Problems with concentration, reduced eye contact and easily frustrated
- Slow to achieve milestones, floppy or stiff limbs, clumsiness
- Difficulty following moving objects, focussing eyes, crossed or turned eyes
- Small or deformed ears, does not startle to loud noise or respond when called
- Softly spoken or very loud voice, unable to pronounce words appropriate to their age
How can physiotherapy help developmental delay?
Physiotherapy treatment aims to promote a child's independence and ability to reach physical milestones. Treatment will be specific to a child's needs, age and abilities and our team of specialist physiotherapists will often use fun games and activities to help promote normal development. We liaise closely with parents, carers and teachers to help them understand the child's needs and how they can help promote future independence.
What are the benefits of physiotherapy for developmental delay?
- Achievement of physical milestones such as sitting, crawling and standing
- Improved independence in activities of daily living
- Improved posture, muscle strength, balance and coordination
- Improved confidence
Why Manchester Neuro Physio?
- Immediate treatment available
- Individual treatment sessions
- Treatments are designed to be fun whilst challenging a child's ability
- Specialist physiotherapists with experience in developmental delay
- Motivated, caring staff
- Proven track record
Manchester Neuro Physio can provide treatment of developmental delay across Greater Manchester and Cheshire. We can provide assessment and treatment in any of clinic locations as well as at home or school.
See our testimonials to read about the experiences of current and past patients.
To find out more please contact us or arrange a free phone consultation.