Physiotherapy for a Head Injury
At Manchester Physio, our neurological physiotherapists provide specialist assessment and treatment for adults following a head injury.
Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio will maximise your physical ability and help you learn new skills or relearn old ones, so that you reach your maximum physical potential.
Benefits of physiotherapy at Manchester Physio include:
- Facilitating normal movement
- Increasing control of the head and trunk
- Enhancing awareness of body position
- Enhancing independence with functional ability such as rolling, sitting, standing and walking
- Improving positioning
- Increasing muscle activity
- Relieving pain
- Improving quality of life.
A person with a head injury will benefit from physiotherapy. It is important to start physiotherapy soon after leaving hospital for the best possible recovery. Our neurological physiotherapists at Manchester Physio are experienced at treating individuals that have been discharged from the NHS and have gone on to make significant long term improvements with our skills and expertise.
An initial assessment with one of our neurological physiotherapists will look at your movement, tone and balance in order to develop an individualised rehabilitation programme which may involve:
- Positioning in lying, sitting or standing to normalise tone and improve posture
- Functional activities, encouraging normal movement patterns and improving independence
- Stretching and strengthening program to relieve stiffness, increase muscle strength and maximise function
- Balance training focusing on sitting and standing balance to help maximise mobility
- Breathing exercises and coughing to maintain a clear chest
- Advice about walking aids and orthotics if necessary
- Manual handling training sessions for carers and families which will include therapeutic handling and positioning techniques to help maintain a clear chest, increase comfort and promote postural alignment. The therapeutic use of hoist and slings can also be taught.
- Hydrotherapy treatment for relieve pain and stiffness and maximise mobility
If you would like more information on how physiotherapy can help people following a head injury, or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.