What is hypermobility syndrome?
Hypermobility syndrome is a term used to describe overly mobile joints which occurs as a result of the protein collagen being more flexible than usual due to a genetic abnormality. It is an inherited condition which varies on a spectrum of different severities, some with serious complications (e.g. Marfan syndrome) which can affect internal organs. The other end of the spectrum has milder consequences which are not life threatening such as benign hypermobility syndrome.
What are the effects of hypermobility syndrome?
For some children the excessive laxity in joints and soft tissues presents with no problems, however in other cases it may lead to:
- Painful joints and muscles which may be acute or chronic
- Difficulty with prolonged exercise
- Swollen joints
- Disturbed sleep
- More prone to injury
How can physiotherapy help hypermobility syndrome?
Some children with hypermobility syndrome will eventually grow out of the associated problems as the supporting ligaments get stronger over time. Other children may have persistent problems and our team of specialist paediatric physiotherapists can help to reduce the effects of hypermobility syndrome by:
- Providing an exercise programme to strengthen muscles and support the joints
- Provide advice on types of appropriate exercise and sports
- Advising on appropriate pain management techniques such as use of heat or ice
- Reducing risk of injury and persistent pain into adulthood
- Providing advice on reducing factors which may worsen symptoms such as excessive weight
Why Manchester Physio?
- No waiting lists for assessment
- Treatment on a individual basis
- Dedicated, patient centred approach
- Specialist physiotherapists with experience in this condition
- Motivated, caring staff
- Proven track record
Manchester Physio can provide treatment of children with hypermobility syndrome in a wide area across Greater Manchester and Cheshire. We can provide assessment and treatment at any of our clinic locations or even at a child's school or at your home for your convenience.
See our testimonials to read about the experiences of current and past patients.
To find out more please contact us or arrange a free phone consultation.