If the quad muscles have torn (muscle strain) the site of pain is usually well localised in the front of the thigh. Muscle strains occur in the mid belly of the muscle following an increase in running speed or extra distance kicking.
If the pain is variable and not clearly localised it may be referred pain from the hip joint, the sacroiliac joint, the lumbar spine or nerve structures.
Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio following a quad injury will be aimed at:
- Reducing pain and swelling
- Improving range of movement and preventing stiffness
- Improving muscle strength
- Preventing re-injury
- Promoting recovery
- Facilitating return to sporting activities as soon as possible
- Ice to reduce swelling
- Ultrasound to promote healing
- Passive and active stretching exercises to lengthen soft tissue
- Soft tissue massage to relieve tension and pain
- Structured exercise program including an improved warm up, aerobic training and cool down to get you back to your activities safely and effectively
- Muscle strengthening exercises for the trunk, hip and leg muscles once pain and swelling is reduced
Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio will promote healing, reduce pain and improve muscle strength and flexibility and speed up your recovery.
For more information about physiotherapy for quad pain, or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.