Physiotherapy for Parkinsons disease
Physiotherapy treatment for Parkinsons disease at Manchester Physio will promote physical function by improving mobility and independence with everyday tasks.
Our specialised physiotherapists at Manchester Physio commonly treat individuals with Parkinsons disease and teach people to walk better, stay active and manage the risk of falling. At Manchester Physio, physiotherapy treatment will increase muscle strength, joint flexibility and balance.
Benefits of physiotherapy for Parkinsons disease at Manchester Physio include:
- Improving function - such as rolling, sit to stand, walking and dressing
- Improving transfers
- Keeping muscles strong to maximise mobility
- Relaxing rigid muscles and joints
- Reduce freezing
- Increasing energy levels
- Promoting smooth and efficient movement
- Improving balance
- Reducing risk of falling
- Improving posture
- Improve quality of life
Your physiotherapist will either assess you at home or in the clinic to see how Parkinson disease is impacting on your everyday function. Treatment goals will then be set with you and those close to you to ensure you reach you maximum physical potential. Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio will be centred on:
- Active and passive range of movement exercises to increase muscle activity, making transfers and walking easier to achieve
- Muscle stretching exercises to keep joints flexible
- Exercises to help relax rigid muscles and joints to maintain a good posture and make movements smooth and efficient
- Balance training
- Activities to improve posture and comfort in lying, sitting and standing
- Cueing and movement strategies to reduce the effects of freezing
- Advice on aids and adaptations to the home to improve safety
If you would like more information on physiotherapy for Parkinsons disease or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.