Physiotherapy treatment must commence from the time of injury, not surgery, as this may be months later.
Pre-operative physiotherapy starts with acute injury management and progresses to improving strength and range of movement to allow accelerated post-operative recovery.
Pre-operative physiotherapy may include:
- Ice and heat therapy in the initial stages to reduce pain and swelling
- Advice about the modify activity
- Stretching the muscles in the leg and hips
- Strengthening exercises
- Soft tissue massage to lengthen any tight muscles around the knee and reduce pain
- Information about your surgical procedure and what to expect afterwards
Our physiotherapists at Manchester Physio commonly treat people following knee operations such as arthroscopies, meniscectomies, ligament reconstructions and knee replacements to promote healing and enhance recovery.
Post-operative physiotherapy may include:
- Heat therapy to relax tight and painful muscles
- Ultrasound to accelerate healing
- Gait training with or without a walking aid and practising to gradually weight bear on your affected leg to encourage healing and improve independence
- Practising transfers such as getting up from sitting, getting on/off the bed, chair, commode
- Practising stairs
- Exercise program once pain has settled to improve strength and flexibility in the leg and hip muscles.
- Exercises to improve physical fitness
- Core stability exercises
- Balance training
- Advise on how to modify activity and when to progress exercises safely.
At Manchester Physio, physiotherapy treatment before and after your knee operation will ensure you get back to the activities you enjoy to the best of your ability.
For more information to see if you would benefit from physiotherapy, or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 007.