Physiotherapy for developmental delay
Physiotherapy treatment for developmental delay at Manchester Physio will help your child reach their developmental milestones and promote your childs independence with functional activities. Physiotherapy treatment for developmental delay will depend on your childs age and ability. Our specialist paediatric physiotherapists at Manchester Physio provide physiotherapy in the form of fun activities and games to stimulate your child into performing normal patterns of movement.
Benefits of physiotherapy treatment for developmental delay include:
- Improving gross and fine motor skills
- Improving muscle strength and flexibility
- Enhancing postural stability
- Improving awareness of limbs in space (proprioception)
- Improving mobility
- Facilitating independence
- Reaching developmental milestones
Following an initial assessment with one of our specialised physiotherapists at Manchester Physio, short and long term rehabilitation goals will be developed at the centre of your childs needs. Physiotherapy treatment at Manchester Physio may include:
- Exercises to increase muscle strength so that your child is able move more independently and balance better.
- Muscle stretching to increase range of movement and relieve stiffness
- Activities to improve head and trunk control. Mirror imaging is often used to increase their awareness of where their limbs are in space (proprioception)
- Exercises to increase mobility and their success of learning to walk.
- Activities for the hand to improve writing and grasping objects.
- Advice on positioning and supportive devices such as using a wheelchair, orthotic devices or other adaptive equipment if necessary.
- Hydrotherapy treatment helps relax stiff muscles and joints and maximises mobility in water.
Physiotherapy for developmental delay at Manchester Physio will help your childs development. Your childs treatment plan will be tailored to their individual needs but will also incorporate family, carers and teachers so that they make significant long term improvements.
Our physiotherapist at Manchester Physio can also provide physiotherapy treatment at school, home or in our clinic.
For more information on how physiotherapy can help your child with developmental delay or to book an appointment please call 0161 883 0077.